established 1942
Home

Pair of Byzantine gold earrings
BYZANTINE GOLD RING WITH JERUSALEM CROSS IN NIELLO

Inlaid into the discus; granulation where the discus joins the shank.

11th-12th Century AD

Circumference: 2 3/8 in. (60 mm.); size 10

Ex B.R. collection, ca. the 1990s.

The design originates with the coat of arms worn by Godfrey of Bouillon during the First Crusade, and it remained in use as the arms of the King of Jerusalem throughout their duration (1099–1291). The symbolism of the five-fold cross is variously given as the Five Wounds of Christ, Christ and the four quarters of the world, or Christ and the four evangelists.

GM1609
SOLD

Search Royal-Athena
copyright